History of Mortar Board at Ohio Northern University
In February, 1956, the Student Council at Ohio Northern University founded a Senior Honorary in an effort to give recognition to students who had given outstanding service and leadership in extra-curricular activities. Initially, the society tapped both men and women. However, in 1965, the women re-organized under the name Aurora. This name was adopted from the Greek goddess of the morning and dawn. Anticipating an eventual request to petition for membership as a chapter of Mortar Board, the charter members patterned Aurora after the high standards of Mortar Board.
During the spring of 1973, Mrs. Florine Jacobs, Dean of Women, submitted a petition for the establishment of Aurora as a chapter of Mortar Board. In 1975, Aurora chapter became the 167th chapter of Mortar Board. In 1987, it was decided to admit men into the organization. This was the first time since 1965 that a male had been a member of the Aurora / Mortar Board organizations. Mortar Board activities include exam treats, Secretaries' Day, carnation sales, Adopt-A-Highway, and the Favorite Professor's Dessert. Including the initiates of February 2003, over 750 men and women have been members of Aurora Chapter of Mortar Board.
Facts & Figures
- Founded: February 15, 1918
- Established at ONU: April 20, 1975
- Number of Active Chapters: 211
- Number of Alumni Chapters: 34
- Combined Membership: over 220,000
- Publication: Mortar Board Forum
- Motto: Pi Sigma Alpha
- Colors: Gold and Silver
- Symbols: The Mortar Board
- Philanthropy: Reading is Leading