The National Community Pharmacists Association (NCPA), founded in 1898, represents America’s community pharmacists, including the owners of more than 23,000 pharmacies. The nation’s community pharmacies, pharmacy franchises, and regional chains dispense nearly half of the nation’s retail prescription medications.
The Ohio Northern Student Chapter of NCPA was started during the 2005-06 school year. In May of 2006, members attended the first NCPA Legislative Conference in Washington D.C. to discuss laws and regulations with legislators. We have consistently sent around 12 students every year to the Legislative Conference since 2006. During the 2009 and 2011 Conferences, ONU NCPA Student Chapter received the Dennis Ludwig Memorial Scholarship in Government Affiars for having the greatest number of attendees to the conference out of all other NCPA Student Chapters. The following year in October 2006, members attended the Annual NCPA Convention which we have attended every year since. At that convention we received the Most Improved Chapter Award and in 2009, our chapter was runner-up Chapter of the Year. At the 2010 convention, our faculty advisor, Deirdre Myers, received Faculty Liason of the Year and our student chapter received Chapter of the Year. We again received Chapter of the Year at the 2011 convention.
Soon after starting the ONU Student Chapter of NCPA, we began to start professional outreach programs in 2007. From 2007-2010 we partnered with Phi Delta Chi to hold a major health screening in the Spring. In 2009, we began to move away from doing one large health screening a year to hold numerous small outreach events to provide students with more outreach opportunities and help more people in the surrounding communities. This led to our success in winning the Target Award in 2009 from the ONU College of Pharmacy for best outreach organization.
Other Notable Achievements:
- In 2008, the ONU Student Chapter of NCPA began participating in a business plan competition sponsored by Ohio Pharmacists Association and NCPA. Participation in this competition has continued every year.
- Four members of the our student chapter have won the Presidental Scholarship given by NCPA during the Annual NCPA Convention in October. This number has grown exponentially over the years, most recently with 3 members receiving this scholarship in 2018.
- In Janurary 2010, Lauren Anderson was the first member of our student chapter to ever sit on the Student Leadership Council (SLC), the national leadership group for NCPA student chapters, was inaugurated into office. The following year in January 2011, Elizabeth Crandal was the second member to serve on the Student Leadership Council. We followed suit by continually having a member of our student chapter on SLC, most recently with Taylor Lewis (2016-2017), Heather Fogarty (2017-2018), Amber Lilly (2018-2019), and Alexis Dayton (2019-2020).
- ONU students have been given the presitigious honor of being able to work at NCPA headquarters for their APPE rotations in 2010. ONU students have been able to receive this rotation site every year since, and even have this site scheduled for 2013 APPE roations.
- In 2018, our student chapter was first runner-up for NCPA student chapter of the year nationally, along with being Legislative Chapter of the year for NCPA nationwide.